Mechanical Design Engineer
The Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for the mechanical design of new or rebuild Tunnel Boring Machines and developing, and testing mechanical components, machinery, and equipment for using applied knowledge of engineering principle.
This position is also responsible for determining product requirements and designs, as well as developing a test plan to validate that these designs meet performance metrics, selecting components, performing calculations to support system designs and preparing detailed schematics, and system layouts. Reports to the Engineering Manager.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design and detail TBM components, including large weldments, geared/vacuum lift devices and drilling systems.
- Deliver designs accounting for accessibility, ease of maintenance and optimal utilization of available space.
- Ensure materials are used within safe working limits in accordance with applicable codes and standards.
- Perform FEA analysis for large weldments, and design calculations for lifting devices and bolted connections.
- Research applicable codes or standards related to design compliance and ensure their implementation to support the scope of project.
- Coordinate departmental designs with other Engineering departments to ensure interdepartmental functionality and technical specification compliance.
- Ensure technical specification requirement are met and executes document design changes based on revision drawings.
- Research on new technologies and processes to enhance performance, reduce cost and improve quality of the TBM products.
- Document design functions through detailed drawings/reports.
- Ensure that all ISO and safety policies are known and followed at all times.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline.
- Professional Engineer Certificate or Engineer-in-Training is desirable.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in mechanical design engineering in a manufacturing environment preferred.
- Proficient in AutoCAD and SolidWorks, Microsoft Office, and other software as may be required on a project basis.
- Proficient in GD&T principles and design for manufacturing and assembly.
- Excellent knowledge of solid mechanics related to weldment design and analysis including bolted/pinned/riveted structures.
- Experience with integrated CAD system/part database/schematic creation software will be an asset.
- Solid background in machine design as it relates to motion controls, switches, valves, motors, panel wiring, cylinders, etc.
- Strong Knowledge of materials properties, mechanism and manufacturing process.
- Experience in selection of materials and structures under multiple load combinations.
- Strong background in the development and creation empirical calculations related to complex designs and applications.
- Knowledge of metal working and forming practices including milling, turning, grinding, heat treatment, surface preparation, profile cutting, gear and spine cutting, etc.
- Knowledge of practical application of engineering science and technology including applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of TBMs.
- Strong knowledge of workplace health and safety.
- Knowledge of ISO quality standards and detailing practices and BOM presentation related to mechanical schematics.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent time management, communication both oral and written, customer service, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent collaboration and team building skills.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Strong organizational, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to create and review technical documentation, including project plans, test procedures, and design documents.
- Ability to understand various product functions in relatively limited time.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form.
- Abilities to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to specifications.
- Abilities to work well under pressure and good work ethics.
- Abilities to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
- Adapt to a changing work environment, competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Willing and able to work overtime when requested.
The above list is a summary of the roles and responsibilities of the Mechanical Design Engineer position. It is not a detail list of all tasks and responsibilities associated with the position. The department manager may alter, change, and add to the above list as required by changing business needs.
If you are interested, please forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. No phone calls or staffing agencies please.