Fluid Power Design Engineer
The Fluid Power Design Engineer will be responsible for detailed design of fluid power systems for the TBMs , including hydraulic power units, pneumatic systems and/or associated electrical controls. This position supports continuous improvement of products and develops new products.
This position is also responsible for determining product requirements and designs, as well as developing a test plan to validate that these designs meet performance metrics, selecting components, performing calculations to support system designs and preparing detailed schematics, and system layouts. Reports to the Engineering Manager.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design and detailed drawings of TBM components, assemblies and accessories.
- Research and provide recommendation of items required for the fabrication or support of the TBM.
- Provide technical support to Field Service, Sales, Purchasing, Production and Project Management as required.
- Research applicable codes or standards related to design compliance and ensure their implementation to support the scope of project.
- Coordinate departmental designs with other Engineering departments to ensure interdepartmental functionality and technical specification compliance.
- Provide expert technical answers regarding product design and performance.
- Design tasks may include: hydraulic power units, electrical circuits, sizing and selection of hydraulic and electrical components such as cylinders, accumulators, pumps, motors, valves, motor starters, programmable logic controllers (PLCs) and operator interfaces, equipment pallet design arrangements, hose and tubing sizing and selection.
- Work with internal project managers, customers, and consulting engineers to clarify specifications and obtain design approval.
- Evaluate technical specifications and make design decisions and calculations based on standard practice or made to order requirements.
- Create associated engineering documentation such as hydraulic and electrical schematics, PLC application programs, detail drawings and revisions, operation and maintenance manuals and installation instructions as appropriate.
- Participate in start-up, testing, and commissioning of fluid power systems.
- Assist in resolving fabrication challenges related to the interpretation of drawings, manufacturing methods, and/or material requirements.
- Recommend, develop, and implement improvements in existing products or procedures.
- Insure product designs meet customer expectations for quality and performance.
- Participate in product testing and evaluation efforts. Working with other departments as needed.
- Ensure that all ISO and safety policies are known and followed at all times.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, preferably in Hydraulics, Electrical, or Mechanical.
- Professional Engineer Certificate or Engineer-in-Training is desirable.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in hydraulics and electrical design engineering in a manufacturing environment preferred.
- Proficient in AutoCAD and SolidWorks, Microsoft Office, SAP, various PLC systems and other software as may be required on a project basis.
- Experience with integrated CAD system/part database/schematic creation software will be an asset.
- Highly organized and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong knowledge of fluid power systems and the schematic representation of complex circuits.
- Strong knowledge of field instrumentation and applications including those related to pressure, temperature, fluid flow and fluid level measurement.
- Knowledge of fluid behaviour as related to viscosity, flow and heat transfer characteristics.
- Knowledge of heat transfer principles and heat exchanger design, sizing and selection.
- Strong knowledge of hydraulic motor and pump design, sizing, installation and behaviour under load.
- Strong knowledge of lubrication systems and requirements.
- Strong background in the development and creation empirical calculations related to complex designs and applications.
- Strong knowledge of practical application of engineering science and technology including applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of TBMs.
- Strong knowledge of raw materials, production processes, and quality control.
- Strong knowledge of workplace health and safety.
- Knowledge of ISO quality standards and detailing practices.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent time management, communication, customer service, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent collaboration and team building skills.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Strong organizational, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to understand various product functions in relatively limited time.
- Ability to mentor and provide engineering technical support to other departments and clients.
- Abilities to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to specifications.
- Abilities to work well under pressure and good work ethics.
- Abilities to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
- Adapt to a changing work environment, competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Willing and able to work overtime when needed.
The above list is a summary of the roles and responsibilities of the Fluid Power Design Engineer position. It is not a detailed list of all tasks and responsibilities associated with the position. The department manager may alter, change, and add to the above list as required by changing business needs.
If you are interested, please forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. No phone calls or staffing agencies please.