The Electrical Designer is responsible for assisting with the design and preparation of drawings for electrical work associated with TBM projects.
This position is also responsible for providing technical and administrative support in both designers and engineers in design development, specification and detailing.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with design team in the preparation of preliminary and detailed drawings, designs and plans.
- Assist with testing and modifying TBMs functions on HMI and PLCs.
- Design and draft control system for TBM as well as electric systems including electrical wiring diagram, JB wiring diagram, motor/VFD schematics, power distribution diagram, cable schedules and interconnection diagram in AutoCAD.
- Create detail drawing for control system diagram, electrical lighting system, telephone communication system, safety system and network connection using AutoCAD
- Design enclosures and panel layouts to meet installation and technical requirements.
- Create new template drawings as standard for control systems
- Produce electrical drawings, charts, sketches and schedules
- Generate electrical drawings from tag lists and modify drawings for subsequent revisions.
- Compare the electrical drawings with documented requirements, report any discrepancies to engineers.
- Work with the Department Manager and Project Leader to troubleshoot issues and propose solutions.
- Ensure that all ISO standards and safety policies are known and followed at all times.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Post-secondary education in Electrical Engineering or a related field from an accredited university or Technologist diploma from an accredited college.
- Professional Engineering Certificate or Engineer-in-Training is desirable.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in electrical design engineering in a manufacturing environment preferred
- Experience in the preparation of preliminary and detailed drawings, designs and plans for electrical work for heavy machines
- Proficient in AutoCAD and E3 WireWorks, and Microsoft Office, and other software as may be required on a project basis.
- Experience with integrated CAD system/part database/schematic creation software will be an asset.
- Knowledge of motor control centers and schematic representation of complex circuits.
- Highly organized and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Thorough knowledge of PLC and HMI development.
- Knowledge of practical application of engineering science and technology including applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of TBMs
- Knowledge of VFD systems design and installation
- Strong knowledge of workplace safety
- Knowledge of ISO quality standards and detailing practices related to electrical schematics.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Good problem solving skills including strong analytical skills, troubleshooting and organization skills;
- Excellent time management, communication both oral and written, customer service, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent collaboration and team building skills.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Ability to perform complex system studies for short circuit analysis, time-current coordination, motor starting, harmonics, reduction, grounding analysis and load flow
- Ability to understand various product functions in relatively limited time
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form
- Abilities to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to specifications
- Abilities to work well under pressure and good work ethics
- Abilities to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times
- Adapt to a changing work environment, competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events
- Willing and able to work flexible shifts and changing work schedules.
The above list is a summary of the roles and responsibilities of the Electrical Designer position. It is not a detailed list of all tasks and responsibilities associated with the position. The department manager may alter, change, and add to the above list as required by changing business needs.
If you are interested, please forward your resume to email@example.com. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. No phone calls or staffing agencies please.