Electrical Design Engineer
The Electrical Design Engineer involves providing ideas, inputs, and analysis as an engineering team member. This position will perform electrical engineering design, implementation, and support for all electrical systems of TBMs. This position is responsible for participation in the creation of project schedules and maintains the established design and engineering schedules in support of the project and manufacturing requirements and design and detailed drawings of TBM components, assemblies and accessories.
This position is also responsible for determining product requirements and designs, as well as developing a test plan to validate that these designs meet performance metrics, selecting components, performing calculations to support system designs and preparing detailed schematics, and system layouts. Reports to the Engineering Manager.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design and detailed drawings of TBM components, assemblies and accessories.
- Design and review CAD drawings for all electrical schematics required for TBMs.
- Coordinate departmental designs with other Engineering departments to ensure interdepartmental functionality and technical specification compliance.
- Lead electrical projects pertains to new and rebuild TBM electrical design including power and control systems, motor control centers, instrumentation, communication networks and safety systems.
- Develop PLC programming routines and HMI animation screens.
- Support field service and assist with troubleshooting on site.
- Prepare proposals for potential TBM projects.
- Research and provide recommendation of items required for the fabrication or support of the TBM.
- Provide technical support to Field Service, Sales, Purchasing, Production and Project Management as required.
- Research applicable codes or standards related to design compliance and ensure their implementation to support the scope of project.
- Provide expert technical answers regarding product design and performance.
- Work with internal project managers, customers, and consulting engineers to clarify specifications and obtain design approval.
- Perform plant maintenance such as shop power distribution and machinery.
- Provide assistance with ESA inspections of machinery and other electric equipment.
- Create associated engineering documentation such electrical schematics, PLC application programs, detail drawings and revisions, operation and maintenance manuals and installation instructions as appropriate.
- Insure product designs meet customer expectations for quality and performance.
- Ensure that all ISO and safety policies are known and followed at all times.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Professional Engineer Certificate or Engineer-in-Training is desirable.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in electrical design engineering in a manufacturing environment preferred.
- Proficient in AutoCAD, Microsoft Office, SAP, various PLC systems and other software as may be required on a project basis.
- Experience with integrated CAD system/part database/schematic creation software will be an asset.
- Thorough knowledge of motor control centers and schematic representation of complex circuits.
- Strong knowledge of field instrumentation and applications including those related to pressure, temperature, fluid flow and fluid level measurement.
- Thorough knowledge of PLC and HMI development.
- Knowledge of hydraulic systems.
- Knowledge of substation design including physical layout, protection and control, equipment specifications.
- Experience in control panel design and layout, including fabrication and installation techniques.
- Strong background in the development and creation empirical calculations related to complex designs and applications.
- Strong knowledge of practical application of engineering science and technology including applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of TBMs.
- Knowledge of electric motors, sizing, installation and behavior under load.
- Knowledge of VFD systems design and installation.
- Strong knowledge of raw materials, BOM presentation related to electrical schematics, production processes, and quality control.
- Strong knowledge of workplace safety.
- Knowledge of ISO quality standards and detailing practices.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent time management, communication both oral and written, customer service, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent collaboration and team building skills.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Highly organized and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong organizational, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to read hydraulic blue prints and drawings.
- Ability to perform complex system studies for short circuit analysis, time-current coordination, motor starting, harmonics reduction, grounding and load flow analysis.
- Ability to understand various product functions in relatively limited time.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form.
- Abilities to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to specifications.
- Abilities to work well under pressure and good work ethics.
- Abilities to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
- Adapt to a changing work environment, competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Willing and able to work overtime when needed.
The above list is a summary of the roles and responsibilities of the Electrical Design Engineer. It is not a detailed list of all tasks and responsibilities associated with the position. The department manager may alter, change, and add to the above list as required by changing business needs.
If you are interested, please forward your resume to email@example.com. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. No phone calls or staffing agencies please.